Saturday, January 12, 2013

The Birth of My First Son!

 

When I got the news I was pregnant I was scared and happy. I began preparing for this pregnancy by going to all of my appointments and even though it was a high risk pregnancy, everything was going great. The day of delivery came and I was in a lot of pain. I wanted an epidural, at the time the nurse checked me I was dialated 2cm then moments later I was 5 to 6 cm and it was too late for my epidural. My brother was my support there and he was in the delivery room. The doctors had all their equipment on a table and was prepared to deliver. I was in so much pain an I thought I was pushing but I was pulling the baby back in. They were saying push and I was light headed and felt faint. I was finally pushing and my son was born 6lbs 7ozs. I was so happy when I heard him crying I started shedding tears of joy. It was an experience I will never forget.
I know its very important to take care of yourself when you are expecting. You have to attend all doctors visits to make sure that you and your baby is healthy.

I researched births in Brazil and I was surprised to find that they have high cesarean birth rates. Most deliveries are done this way. Its said to be the highest in the world. The women still experience what women in America experience. They know the importance of doctors visits and caring for themselves. In a yahoo news article A Brazilian woman did not want a c-section she wanted a natural birth. So she stopped going to her prenantal dr and decided to go to a local hospital where she had a better chaance of a vagianl delivery.

I was surprised in Brazil that the most common way of childbirth is cesarean births. I feel it should be the choice of the mother unless their is a health risk to the mother and the child.   

http://www.scielosp.org
http://news.yahoo.com/brazilian-woman-rebel-asgainst-cesarean-birth

2 comments:

  1. Hi Rolanda, this is Cora. I am glad everything turned out alright for you and your family. Keeping your doctors is so important in time of risk or not. I am sad that so many Brazilian women get c-sections, that should only be used in time of destress.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rolanda,
    I enjoyed reading about your first birth. It seems you were very concerned about your child's development so you took the necessary precautions and got the care you needed. I found your discovery about Brazil's births to be very interesting. Women don't have the choice of a natural or c-section. In most cases in the United States, c-sections are done due to health reasons and the mother needs this to be done. I think this birthing decision weighs a lot on the child's future development. Maybe this is the reason the people in Brazil make the women get a c-section??? I wonder what the reason is...???

    ReplyDelete